Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Children's Book Review: This Little Prayer of Mine

This Little Prayer of Mine by Anthony DeStefano is a rhyming prayer book for children. The rhymes are sweet and the illustrations are frankly incredible (the book was illustrated by Mark Elliot). I read this to my son several times because we try to pray with him and he loves any kind of rhyming.

I think that one or two little things that stuck out to me, as a Christian, were part of the child's prayer that came across as very...American Christian. Don't get me wrong, America is great and dreams are great. But there are Christians all over the world, and I think we (Christians) need to remember that.

Another thing was, at the end of the book, the child in the prayer asks God for just 'one more thing...' and that is that God please love him/her 'forevermore.' I understand the rhyming of it and the sweetness of the child's prayer, but I honestly don't want to teach my child that he has to ask God to love him. God loves everyone everywhere, regardless of whether they love Him back.

All of that said, I do like the book. It's beautiful and enjoyable, and I'll be reading it to my son again I'm sure.

1 comment:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...