Friday, December 18, 2009

Fun Friday Question!

Christmas day will be here in just one week! This year I'm understanding why parents get so excited about Christmas. I used to wonder why my parents were so happy and joyful when their pile of presents didn't seem to be near as fun or as surprising as my own. But now I get it, and I could not tell you who is more excited -- me or Miles -- for our little family's gift-opening tomorrow morning. I've been counting down the days with him and yesterday I told him 'just two more sleeps until we open presents!' (I got that expression from Joy.)

And yes, I realize the contradiction in my first paragraph...I said that Christmas was one week away, then shared that our family would be opening gifts tomorrow. That's just because Casey and I decided a couple of years ago that, because we always spend Christmas Day with one family or the other, we would still like to make those memories in our home with our children. It's so much fun putting up the tree, wrapping presents and setting them out, hanging our stockings...I want those memories to be in our home just as much in our families' homes.

When I was younger and would hear about my friends' family traditions at this time of year, I tended to think, 'my family doesn't have any Christmas traditions.' But as I grew older I could see that we did some little things here and there that became a part of our time together. I think part of not having the "big" traditions might be because my parents were born and raised on the other side of the world. I know there were certain things they did for Christmas, but it's not really the same as it is in America. I could be totally wrong, though.

But I love hearing about other family traditions: parents giving their kids a special ornament every year, or a new pair of pajamas, that kind of thing. I'm still searching for something like that for Casey and I to incorporate into our traditions. We're still a young family, but I love the idea of Miles looking back and remembering what each year brought. And not that I want something tangible he can look at, it's the memories I want him to cherish.

So today's Fun Friday Question is this: What are your favorite and best Christmas memories? Is there a particular tradition that your parents instilled in you that you would like to pass on?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite memories of Christmas are of going to church on Christmas Eve (most years, singing in the children's choir before and during the service), seeing all my friends and their parents at/after church, and on the walk home, seeing planes flying overhead and thinking/pretending it was Santa's sleigh. (We lived just minutes from an airport.) Then we'd watch the Sesame Street Christmas special and I went to bed and was up at or before dawn on Christmas morning. My dad or I would tune the radio to a station playing Christmas music while my mom got some coffee going and then we'd start on presents.

All small things but I really miss every moment of it, especially since it was EXACTLY the same every year. When I have kids I'd like to try the Santa's-sleigh thing with them (luckily we do have planes flying overhead sometimes where we live now). Most important to me is establishing a Christmas "routine" that is essentially the same year to year throughout their childhood, even if most of it is yet to be determined.

tracey said...

I love it, Sally-Anne, thanks for sharing! What neat memories. I know what you mean about the small things, that's how it was with us too. Something I forgot to mention was blueberry muffins while we opened presents, which we'll be starting in our house tomorrow!

Brigitte said...

We always had/have chocolate gravy
and biscuits--yummmmmy on Christmas Day. I will plan to continue that tradition. Love it.

tracey said...

Thanks for sharing, what a great -- and yes, yummy -- tradition!

Luke Family said...

We always put our engraved baby ornament on the tree ourselves, and hang our own stockings on Christmas Eve. We usually watch (still) the Peanuts Christmas movie at some point during the season(& the newer tradition is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation). Of course we left cookies for Santa, and at times celery for the reindeer. My Papa always got us pjs, and my Mema still does in his honor. My Dad carries on that tradition with his grandkids. Christmas has always been SOOOO magical with my family, and I hope to make it that way for Macy with many of the same traditions.

tracey said...

Joy ~ I think I remember you telling me some of this at one point. I love all of this, hearing what your family does, it's so sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...