Sunday, March 15, 2009

Visiting with Granmom

Casey is currently away, spending spring break in North Carolina with a bunch of college students. Wait, that doesn't sound so good. What I mean to say is, Casey and a group of students from our campus ministry are doing mission work in Chapel Hill, NC this week. There...that's better.

For the past two(?) years, this time was spent in West Virginia. Two years ago, both of my parents came to stay with me and help with Miles. I was still not 100% healthy and strong at that point, so help was much needed. Last year I decided to go it on my own, and am proud to say that I did not do too badly. Of course it was difficult, and I gained a new appreciation for all that Casey does, but I made it.

This year my mom was hoping to visit, so we made plans for her to visit while Casey was away. Miles is at such a fun age (so far they've all been fun), and his vocabulary and speech made quite a leap in the past four months since we saw my family over the holidays. Needless to say, these last few days have been fun and entertaining. Just watching Miles with his Granmom is a treat. He will miss her so much when we take her to the airport on Friday. Miles doesn't remember, but I think his heart knows what a special bond they share, because my mom took care of him for two of the three-and-a-half months that I was in the hospital. I don't know how she did it, mostly all by herself because Casey was with me or at work, but she did it. And I think the two of them will always have a unique bond because of that.

Last night Miles decided he wanted to sleep in Granmom's bed. She was fine with that, although I told her that I'd probably just move him over to his bed later on. She stayed with him, but said that she kept trying to see if he was sleeping, because it was dark and she couldn't tell. He was so quiet, but she just wasn't sure. Finally, my mom decided to get up and leave the room for a minute (this was after about half an hour). The second she started to get up she heard, "Where you goin' Granmom?" I don't think we'll be trying that again tonight, although I'm sure Miles will make an attempt.

We've made plans to visit a nearby children's museum tomorrow. I've heard great things about it and I'm pretty excited, not just for Miles to see it but to see it myself! We didn't live around those kinds of things when I was growing up -- I had no idea any 'children's museum' existed. We're also thinking about taking a trip to the zoo later on in the week. For me there's always that feeling of, 'I sure wish Case could be here to enjoy this with us,' but I know he'll be glad we're having a good time. And for an entire week, I'm not outnumbered in the house!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...