Thursday, February 26, 2009

A good book and lots of letters

Realistically, I am not an everyday blogger. I would hope that I could at least be a several-days-a-week blogger. But as of now, I haven't even posted in more than two weeks! Shame, shame on me. But I've had lots and lots on my mind, some of which I would love to post about (but forget) and some I'm keeping to myself (or also forgetting).

If anyone out there has heard of the Christian author Stormie Omartian or has read any of her books -- okay, even if you haven't -- I am thrilled to be currently reading Just Enough Light For the Step I'm On. This was recommended to me by a friend after we had Facebooked back and forth several times about my struggles with wanting a baby and not getting pregnant when I'd like (as in NOW). This friend of mine had read it at a difficult time in her own life. Well, I think I went and bought it the next day, about five minutes before the store closed. I feel blessed with each chapter I read, and I think she (Omartian) gives us things, as Christians, that we already know in our hearts, but she puts them in a very unique way.

Speaking of unique, another friend of mine told me she didn't mind my sharing something on the blog. Last night, our Bible study was split into a guys' group and a girls' group. The girl -- I should say woman, she and I are almost the same age -- who spoke to us had a lot of good, encouraging things to say to single college women. She, after all, is a single 30-year-old Ph.D. candidate, and so I would say she knows where they are coming from and what they might be going through. There were so many insightful things in that short talk, but near the end she shared something that had me completely fascinated. She pulled out a fairly large black box and explained that, some time ago, God had put it on her heart to start writing letters to her (future) husband. She wrote the first one, felt it was a bit cheesy, and nearly threw it away until she felt God nudging her some more. So she kept it, and she kept writing. She's numbered them, and told us last night that as of now there are 99 letters in that box. And they are not all just letters. One of them is a big envelope that contains a letter from her last night on an Australian beach, but there are also rocks from the beach in that envelope. She said that these letters explain who she is better than she can say herself. And so, at times when she's been dating someone, she has wondered, "How can I know if this guy would die for me?" (because she was talking about how Christ died for us, and that -- not any man -- is what gives us worth). But since she has started writing these very precious letters to the man she will someday marry, she has found herself at times thinking, "I don't want this guy reading my letters!" I think they are a kind of litmus test for her in relationships, and I think what she has done, and is doing, is awesome. I told her so last night. But I wish I had thought of it myself!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...