Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The clueless get clued in

I sort of took a break from posting. Mostly we were traveling, going to the annual ACU Lectureship where I got to see my good friends Sarah and Ruthie. The visiting time was not near as long as I would have liked it to be -- they are not just former co-workers but great gals too!

This won't be a long post, but I just wanted to say that if there's anything that can make new parents-to-be feel a lot more clueless about taking care of a baby -- it's registering for gifts. I even had a checklist, people, a checklist! And still, we wandered around the infant section of Wal-Mart -- me with the clipboard and Casey with the registry gun -- our eyes glazing over and saying, "Where is this? And what is this?" Okay, it was mostly me. Casey doesn't seem to be too worried about it all, just mentioned how much easier all of this probably was for his dad. At one point I turned to him and said, "Wouldn't our parents just love to see this and laugh?" because we really did look like we had no clue. Finally we left, with our items checked off the list (mostly) and ready to get home.

But this morning...I was reminded again of the amazing simplicity of babies when I sat in Ladies' Bible Class and held a newborn sleeping baby girl in my arms for more than an hour. It gave me a calm and a renewed feeling of, "Okay, maybe I can do this" and that -- rather than the 'beep!' of the registry gun -- is what I will try and hold on to for the next eleven plus weeks.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Awesome to see ya too!

And for the record, I didn't end up using half the stuff we registered for as new parents.... you just really don't need all that stuff!!! :)

tracey said...

Thanks Sarah...yeah, I figure there's stuff I won't even register for -- especially if I don't know what it is! I think I've covered the basics well enough. I like to keep it simple.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...