Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Shouldering on...I mean, soldiering on

I was given an assessment of my shoulder today by the very nice physical therapist. She seems to think that I could have a partial tear in my rotator cuff. Now, when I have heard things like this about other people, I have winced and imagined them walking around in constant pain. But I first hurt my shoulder in 1998, then several more times since. Last fall I hurt it once again...somehow. Can't remember. (Casey hurt his shoulder around the same time playing racquetball.) Since then it has not been the same and has progressively gotten worse.

However, the physical therapist told Casey and I that women tend to wait until the very last minute to have something like this taken care of. My fellow women, why do we do this? Seriously, it has been seven years since I messed up my shoulder, and it took me being in pain almost every time I moved the thing to see someone about it. I also had gall bladder pain on and off for three years before I had it seen to -- then again, I was literally hobbling around in pain when I "decided" to go to the emergency room. I have been irritated in the past when one or both of my parents would not go to a doctor, but it seems as though I do the same thing!

Oops, supposed to be working on my posture right now and already I'm slipping. I was given "homework" exercises for my shoulder, and I really can't get out of those since Casey was there to witness the whole thing. I should only have to see the physical therapist about six times in all over the next few weeks. By then she said I should be noticing improvement.

I'm just ready to be able to wash my hair without making a face.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...