Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reading, Writing, and Reliving

Before the new year began, I was asked if I'd like to review a book here on Trace Talks. It was really, really cool to get that email, partly because I am a huge bookworm and partly because it was just neat that I was asked. Anyway, in the sidebar there you'll see the cover of the book, titled Confessions of an Amateur Believer. I was taken both by the title and by the snippets I read of an excerpt from the book. I have always wanted to write my own book, or books, and after last year's events a lot of people told me I should write something. I haven't told many people this, but I have been 'writing' a book of my life in my head since I was very young, probably since I was about eight or nine years old. I don't know how many people do this, but to me it's always been a given. I either 'write' as things are happening, or I 'write' when I'm trying to go to sleep. I don't do it every day, but it's just one of my many, many unusual...habits, I guess you'd call it.

There's not much of a point to this particular post, just kind of letting you know that I'll be reviewing Confessions of an Amateur Believer at some point in the near future. I don't know how well I'll do, and I am haunted by Ms. Moore's AP English IV class I took my senior year of high school -- for only the first semester, mind you. All we did was read and analyze, read and analyze. I just wanted to read, and the analyzing really bogged me down. But I'm trying not to let that get to me. I'm just going to read this book, say what I thought of it, the end. That shouldn't be so hard...right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You dropped Ms. Moore's class? Shame, she was a great teacher and person. I learned a lot from her.

tracey said...

Well, I didn't drop it because of Ms. Moore. As the old saying goes, it wasn't her...it was me. =) I really liked Ms. Moore! I just couldn't get the analyzing thing down, my grade was suffering as a result, and so I went into a lower-level English class my last semester. Who is this, Heather?

Sally-Anne said...

I was always terrible at English analysis! It always felt like I was pressured to just rattle off some cockamamie theories about this and that when I always figured even the author didn't think about it that deeply. It takes the fun out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...