Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Two-thirds of a year

Jolene asked for a Miles update, and what perfect timing she has! Today Miles is eight months old. Eight months...I can hardly believe it myself. A few things have changed since his six-month update.

We saw those two bottom teeth come through just before Thanksgiving, and now one of the top front teeth is making its debut. Poor little guy, he's had a rough time with that one. Just two nights ago he really cried just trying to eat his food. It's so hard seeing your baby in pain. Thank goodness for baby Tylenol!

Miles isn't crawling just yet, but he desperately wants to. Ever since we got home from our Thanksgiving trip (more than twelve hours in a car in one day with a baby...we feel like we passed some kind of new-parent test), he has been getting up on his hands and knees and rocking back and forth. It's like he knows he's supposed to move, but he just hasn't got it down yet. But when he starts going, he is going to really go, and I don't know how I'm going to keep up with him. Seriously.

He does really well with sitting, although he'll still lose his balance every so often. I'm amazed at how quickly he learns things, though. Babies are just amazing. He's already walking around really fast in his little rolly-chair thing, and he can open the bottom kitchen cabinets -- thankfully the rolly-chair stops the cabinet from opening all the way. And yes, we are going to baby-proof the house, we just haven't yet. But we've gotta hurry and get it done!

Miles' pediatrician said we could try giving him Cheerios now, so we tried...but to my amazement, he doesn't like them! I've never seen a baby who didn't like Cheerios, but maybe it's something he will get used to. I don't know if it's the texture or the taste, but he makes a face and coughs every time I put one on his tongue. Speaking of tastes, we've learned that carrots and peas make him gag, so for now we've given up on those. Thank goodness he likes squash and sweet potatoes -- at least some vegetables have made it onto the list!

Bathtime has become more of a playtime for Miles. We've introduced the bath toys to him, and he just loves to splash and splash that water. So we try to get him all washed up and then just let him enjoy the splashing. It's pretty entertaining for us as well.

For now that's all I can think of. That, and it's time to get him up from his nap.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally speaking, peas make me gag too! Once they get mobile life is never quite the same. :) Glad things are gong well. Enjoy his first Christmas! I remember how fascinated Evan was with the lights on the Christmas tree. We could just sit him in front of the tree & he was happy for what seemed like hours. Ahhh, they do grow up fast. Merry Christmas to you all.

tracey said...

Thanks Lori! Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Anonymous said...

Tracey,
I'm so glad to see you've been updating your blog. It's good to hear how you, Casey and Miles are doing. We sure do miss you all here in Abilene. It was good to read your previous entries about coming to terms with the time lost with Miles and all the health complications. I confess it brought back memories for me about when I went through difficult times. It is a joyous realization that turning it all over to God brings us peace and acceptance - not necessarily that we like what has happened, but that we realize He is able to be glorified through our experience. Please give Casey and Miles our love and best wishes for a Merry Christmas. I'm joining Robert in North Carolina on the 22nd and our kids are joining us there on the 26th. Did you know Robert is back on Active Duty in the Army? Long story...I'll share it with you sometime. Please keep him in your prayers though!

Love you all.

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart that you're being a mommy now! I praise God that prayers were answered and you can feed and bathe Miles and help him become a man of God. I know you're still recovering in different ways, so don't be afraid to ask for help. We love you!

Anonymous said...

That last post is mine! It came up anonymous, but I put in my name!!! Please don't think I'm "The Anonymous Poster." This is Sarah D. from church. I guess I need a Blogger name. OH, wait, I just didn't have the right button marked. Trying again...

tracey said...

Wow, thanks Suzanne! I can't remember if I knew that you were looking at my blog, but what an honor (like when I found out Kim D. there in Abilene was reading)! We saw in the bulletin about Robert being back on active duty. I can't imagine what that's been like for you, but I'm so glad you'll be together for the holiday.

Sarah D., you make me laugh! Don't worry, I won't delete your comment. Thanks for the encouraging words -- I miss seeing you and I still remember that great afternoon we prayed together!

Sarah said...

He sounds like a super cute baby! :) It is so neat to see you enjoying his first little everythings. They don't get any less special as he grows up either!

Shellie said...

I think you have a bigger fan base in Abilene and BHCC than you know of. You're not here, but you have definately not been forgotten. We were at dinner the other night and the topic of the papasan chair came up and we had to recall the whole racquetball bouncing incident. We have a hardwood floor now, so it would bounce even better.

tracey said...

Thanks Sarah! Yeah, he is quite the cutie-pie.

Shellie -- I have a fan base? Ooh, watch out or I will get a big head over that one! Ah yes, the papasan chair incident. I recall it with great happiness. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...